February 12, 2010

Inaugural Post

I've been have a crisis of identity recently. Recently? Nah. It started when I was four! But lately, I've felt myself slipping back into an old pattern of negative thinking and ruminating. Ruminating is never good. When you spend all day going over what you should have said at a certain point, you know that it's time to take a step back and take a deep breath and get to the bottom of things. So I decided to start a new blog. And where did I write the first entry? In yoga class. During savasana no less.

Tonight was a good class. It was a yin/yang combo which was nice. Just when I thought I was going to die, the instructor stepped it down to yin. Ahhhh...nice! It was good mentally as well. The instructor took me through various stages of euphoria and rage. During the squat, he explained that particular posture was good for the back and that back problems are quite prevalent in North America. The rage came from the smug way he declared that third world countries don't have back problems due to their lack of chairs. Normally I'm all over this kind of hipster shit. (Thanks for the word "hipster" fark.com!) but tonight, I was just irritated that as a citizen of a rich country I had one more thing to feel guilty about - sitting in chairs. I already feel guilty about my astronomical ecological footprint, my ridiculous consumer spending habits and the fact that I can go off work and still afford things that people in other countries have to work years to be able to afford. Now I have to feel guilty that I can sit in a freakin' chair? Argh. You know what you can do with your smug att- ahhh...there it is. I broke through some barrier and delerium turned the pain in my hamstrings into a pleasant burning. Oh, no. Someone call an ambulance, the room is glowing!

Ok, I made that last bit up. Mostly because I felt bad about getting so angry about my chair. I like chairs. So sue me.

Oh right, yoga. :) The euphoria came during the dragon pose in which I was ecstatic to be doing a pose that so many others seemed to be having such difficulty with. And I was doing it with ease. "Ahh, look at me," I thought, "I'm rockin' the dragon pose and I've barely done any yoga in 1.5 years. So good!"

"What's that?" my body asked. "Rockin it?"

The instructor told us to switch sides. "Lean into it" he said. Blinding yellow pain up and down my hip. Oops. Looks like my "rockin' it" was more like "not doing the freakin' pose properly". Ah, such is life. We did savasana soon after that and I was able to begin writing this blog post. Thank god. :)

The purpose of this blog is to (I hope) give myself a place to write, vent, rant and not focus so much on the little things that seem to be riling me up so much lately. I've dabbled in Buddhism in the past and I want to start to try taking that philosophy more seriously. Life is too short to spend the majority of it all worked up over something. With that in mind, I will sign out, hoping that I don't irritate you, my reader, too much with my salutation.

~ Namaste

;)

No comments:

Post a Comment